46th Anniversary for University of Technology
University of Technology cooperated UNESCO to establish the University in 1960. The Ministry of Education submitted the idea of graduating technical educators. The institute was established on 22 of January 1960. The study period was five years after the secondary school. The graduates granted a bachelor's degree in Applied Engineering. Forty-five students were accepted (males only) who were graduated from the industrial high schools. Since its establishment, the objectives of the Institute were to prepare applied engineers as lab technicians in engineering projects in addition to the technical educators to teach in both industrial and technical schools. This institute was aimed to prepare trainers and technical observers for scientific subjects in order to administrate the laboratories by lecturing courses at the institute.
The Institute Included the Following Departments:
- Mechanical Engineering Department.
- Automotive Engineering Department.
- Electrical Engineering Department.
- Building and Construction Engineering Department.
General Materials Engineering Department The name of the institute has been changed a few months after its foundation to be a high institute carrying the name of the High Industrial Institute and this has been done according to the instructions of the Ministry of Education in agreement with UNESCO. Moreover, in 1967 the name has been changed to be the College of Industrial Engineering and modified later to the College of Technological Engineering which was associated with the University of Baghdad, and the College of Technology Engineering became independent according to a decision of establishing the University of Technology in 1/4/1975.
To be one of the outstanding leading institutions distinguished in various specialized engineering and scientific disciplines that satisfy the renewable society requirements and the rapid technological developments.
To Prepare technically oriented engineers and scientific researches, distinguished in their high standards of knowledge and intellectual ability that comply with the international sound criteria of accreditation and quality assurance for the engineering and scientific programs and full commitments of the professional ethics.
- Provide well qualified graduates specialized in different engineering and scientific disciplines to serve and participate in achieving the needs and goals of the socio-economic development of the country and maintain academic staff for higher education institutions.
- Concentrate on applied scientific research and its major role in the development and enhancement of the society, through scientific studies and consultancy work to the governmental sectors of mutual interest. Special attention is made to prepare high technology research programs that fulfill the requirements of sustainable development.
- Encourage the establishing of very specific postgraduate programs for all engineering and scientific specialties.
- The establishment of new trends in education and training to cope with the recent developments in science and technology in accordance with society needs via a specialized continuance center.
- Pursuit towards the rapid development in information technology and communication through the attainment of many projects inside and outside the university such as consulting services, design and execution of several information and communication systems as well as electronic government.
- Encourage the relationship and collaboration with international scientific centers and universities to exchange experience and promote the educational progress and fulfill the development goals.
- Continuous evaluation and enhancement of all levels of academic programs, both under and post graduate, to match with the rapid developments in science and engineering fields.
- Continuous evaluation and enhancement of the academic and administrative performance to reach the stage of complete fulfillment of the total quality management.